The Loreto Chapel, or Children’s Chapel as it was known, was built between 1898 and 1902. The architect was William Tappin and the builder, George Lorimer. It is built in an English Gothic style with French influence. The stone is Barrabool Hills sandstone from near Geelong with white Oamaru, New Zealand, stone detailing.
The building was interrupted through a lack of funds but the project was finally completed with a large bequest from the German Countess Elizabeth Wolff-Metternich, who had been a student at the Convent in 1898. The Countess tragically died on a return visit to her family in Germany.
The inside of the Chapel is decorated in soft pastel colours with artwork and statuary donated to the sisters by Ballarat and Irish families. The Rose Window over the Organ Gallery depicts St. Cecilia, patron saint of music, surrounded by symbols of the four Evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. The windows over the altar depict the instruments of the Passion of Christ. The marble altar features the Nativity scene as was requested by the children.
The interior of the Chapel was restored in 1999 through the bequest of past pupil, Lucy Kerley and maintenance is continued with a bequest from past pupil, Eileen Macintyre (McGrath)
Enjoy a 360 tour of our Chapel
The Story of the Loreto Chapel - The Children's Chapel
This video, produced by students and staff of the College in 2015, shares the special story of the Children's chapel...